Re: a different workflow for DPN?

Hi Paul,

first of all: thanks for thinking about how improve DPN-related workflow!

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 01:19:52PM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:

[...]

> I proposed that we fix this by:
>
>       * using a flat structure for the directory layout:
>         dpn/template.en.wml dpn/current.en.wml
>               * Maybe we want translations in subfolders or maybe
>                 current.foo.wml is fine?
>       * removing all old DPN editions from SVN, moving any translations
>         to webwml if useful/needed.
>       * writing a script that does this:
>               * Convert the current file to an email, prompt the person
>                 running it to do a review of the resulting text and load
>                 it into their MUA to send the mail.
>               * Move all the current.*.wml files into the right place in
>                 webwml and commit them, prompting for a commit message
>                 in the usual way or even just giving a generic 'Release
>                 DPN edition #123' message
>               * Copy template.en.wml to current.en.wml and set the
>                 status to open-for-edit
>       * run the release script once per edition instead of doing the
>         releases manually.
>       * we could also just use the webwml repository for drafting

I'm trying to thinking about the cons of adopting your proposal, but
honestly I can't find them.
My only doubt is that this way, DPN translators will need the webwml
checkout (which is a bit overkill) to translate past issues, but I guess
that a partial checkout would work well enough.
About the script to automate publication: by all means *yes*, please feel
free to do it. Note that we already have (thanks to Thomas Blein!) a
script to convert DPN to email, but not the check-the-result and
load-into-MUA part.
About your last point: I don't think this is a good idea, as we may not
want to grant webwml write access to people who occasionally contribute
to DPN.

Cheers,
Francesca

--