Re: Questions about Debian materials/topics for NorthEastLinuxFest

On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 1:12 AM, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:

> It is nice indeed but not quite the message I wanted to deliver...
>
> I had more of
>
> http://www.onerussian.com/tmp/distro-ecosystem-new2012.svg
>
> in mind ;)   Having hundreds of nice derivatives with a well setup
> workflow Zack illustrated is nice, BUT it is inferior imho to simply
> having those efforts within Debian proper in various regards.  Yes -- we
> could offer more for such customized solutions which require a
> derivative now, e.g. extended flavors exposed within official debian
> installer, but we also have already working solutions (e.g. blends)
> for a field-specific representation of Debian.

In the ideal world that would be the case, but we don't live in an ideal world.

Bringing derivatives closer to Debian is one of the goals of the folks
working on derivatives related stuff, we would love to have more folks
involved in that.

http://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives
http://wiki.debian.org/DerivativesFrontDesk

If you would like to help out with that, we could definitely use some
new people. For a concrete way to help, you could summarise the recent
thread we had about upsides/downsides of contributing back to Debian
and add that to our FAQ.

http://lists.debian.org/debian-derivatives/2012/02/msg00012.html
http://wiki.debian.org/DerivativesFrontDesk/FAQ

If you are curious what patches derivatives are applying to your
packages, take a look at the output of the derivatives census:

http://dex.alioth.debian.org/census/patches/
http://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Census

--
bye,