On -news and -announce usage

Hi,

I just noticed (gmane seems to not work anymore for -announce) that
- -announce is not only used for “*Important*announcements* Major news and
very important changes in the project.” [1], anymore but is also used
for “*Debian*News*[…]*and*otherwise* General news about the distribution
and the project.” [2]: artwork contest [3], BSPs [4] and New machine [5]
are definitely not -announce material.

  1: http://lists.debian.org/debian-announce/
  2: http://lists.debian.org/debian-news/
  3: http://lists.debian.org/debian-announce/2012/msg00002.html
  4: http://lists.debian.org/debian-announce/2012/msg00003.html
  5: http://lists.debian.org/debian-announce/2012/msg00004.html

I'm a bit disappointed that such change on our mailing lists usage came
up without a proper public discussion, or at least a public statement
about it.

As a user, I was pretty happy with a low traffic -announce that allowed
me to be aware of major changes (as a new stable release or point
release), and I used to advise other users to subscribe to it (or its
localized equivalent). Now that its purpose changed, I'm not so sure
anymore about its value.
The recent misoriented unsubscribe requests [6] seems to concur with
that point of view (on the other hand, setting the reply-to: is pretty
new, but please note that we didn't received such request after the
first -news sent on -announce [3]).

  6: http://lists.debian.org/debian-publicity/2012/02/msg00051.html
  7: http://lists.debian.org/debian-publicity/2012/02/msg00052.html
  8: http://lists.debian.org/debian-publicity/2012/02/msg00054.html

Could we please stop using -announce for -news material, or at least
share the rationale of such a change? It doesn't seem fair to the 29603
- -announce subscribers to change a mailing list purpose without at least
an initial notice. Maybe should we change the description of the list
and prepare an announcement about it anyway if we decide to push all
- -news material in -announce…

Regards

David