Re: New policy is not consensual

On Oct 17, 2011, at 11:33, Raphael Hertzog wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Sat, 15 Oct 2011, Debian Wiki wrote:
>> The "ProjectNews/Guidelines" page has been changed by David Prévot:
>> http://wiki.debian.org/ProjectNews/Guidelines?action=diff&rev1=12&rev2=13
>>
>> Comment:
>> The DPN don't relay “give me your money” initiative. <[🔎] 4E8E2AA9.6000605@debian.org> <[🔎] j78a9o$f0n$1@dough.gmane.org>
>>
>>  means that when writing about an ongoing discussion, both points of
>>  views should be reported.
>>
>> + == Policy ==
>> +
>> + The ProjectNews do not inform about fund raising initiative. Once a year, mentioning the possibility to sponsor Debian (e.g. via its DebConf event) is acceptable (but not mandatory).
>>

> I'm afraid there was no consensus in this decision.

I'm a bit concerned that a consensus agreement was not really attempted. There needs to be a good deal more discussion about this before we change policy on the wiki. Otherwise the danger is that we push the discussion to the wiki with revisions and that is confusing to those who treat the wiki as the canonical (no pun intended) source of information.

> While I'm not a very regular contributor to the DPN, I am a regular
> contributor of the publicity team. Jeremiah is like me IIRC and Alexander
> Reshetov is a regular contributor to the DPN. At least we feel part of the
> team.

I strongly feel that the DPN should be open to any contributor who's proven to be active and cooperative. Active DDs should be able to contribute as should DMs by default.

> This kind of imposed-upon decision is highly annoying/demotivating (at
> least for me) in particular when I tried to get some middle-ground that
> could be accepted by all and that David has just simply ignored. He also
> ignored my request to wait until we have the feedback of Alexander
> Reichle-Schmehl who is the main contributor to the DPN.

I agree. This is the action that at least would start to point to consensus. Firstly the policy needs to be reverted on the wiki and more discussion on this list ought to follow.

> I wonder what's the proper way to escalate this ?

I think we should continue to work this out here amongst us. If we feel, as a group, that we cannot come to a consensus, then we should ask for advice from the DPN and/or the Tech. committee.

Regards,

Jeremiah