Re: Fund raising advertisement on the DPN (Was: [Publicity-commits] r2683 - /dpn/en/current/index.wml)

Le 11/10/2011 05:24, Stefano Zacchiroli a écrit :

> So, by all means, I encourage the people regularly doing DPN to decide
> on these matters,

Thanks, so let's try to settle something clear enough, in order to add
it to the appropriate wiki page.

> but it would be nice to distinguish two separate
> judgements. One on whether entries written as *advertisements* are
> welcome or not.

It seems consensual in the thread that advertisements are not welcome at
all.

> And one on whether DPN should refrain from *informing*
> about fund-raising activities related to Debian individuals or not.

After a quick search over the previous issues of the the DPN in the last
five years, I only found two other mentions of such nature, both related
to DebConf (which is strongly Debian related [1]): “organizers are also
still looking for more companies and individuals to sponsor the
conference—please contact sponsors@debconf.org if you want to help”[2],
and “Another important step was made (during a meeting held on 22
February) in establishing sponsorship levels”[3] where the last two
words link to the DebConf11 sponsorship page [4].

  1: http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2011/03/msg00005.html
  2: http://www.debian.org/News/weekly/2008/03/
  3: http://www.debian.org/News/weekly/2011/05/#dc11
  4: http://debconf11.debconf.org/sponsorship.xhtml

Informing about fund raising activities for non profit organization,
gathered to pay hardware, transportation or venue (but not gift or
salary) could be acceptable, but should be strongly Debian related (i.e.
about Debian money), and shouldn't be use frequently (e.g. no more than
once a year).

So I propose the following policy:

*The DPN do not inform about fund raising initiative*

The following exception tries to reflect our current usage:

Once a year, mentioning the possibility to sponsor Debian (e.g. via its
DebConf event) is acceptable (but not mandatory).

If we want to make things crystal clear, we could drop the exception:
DebConf has other ways to inform about sponsorship (e.g. specific press
announcement).

What do other regular editors of the DPN think about this proposal?

Regards

David

P.S.: Searching for previous fund raising related mentions in the past
five years, I came across the last weekly issue of the DWN [5]. It makes
me think that we really need to put money stuff away from the DPN, and
come back editing it.

  5: http://www.debian.org/News/weekly/2006/39/