Re: Fund raising advertisement on the DPN (Was: [Publicity-commits] r2683 - /dpn/en/current/index.wml)

On Oct 11, 2011, at 11:24, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 06, 2011 at 06:24:41PM -0400, David Prévot wrote:
>> It's the second time [1] such an advertisement reaches the DPN, and I
>> don't find it suitable at all. I think it was a mistake the first time,
>> and it would be a shame to consider the first error as a precedent. For
>> the same reason we don't do sponsorship link in the official website
>> main page, I believe we should not relay such campaign in the official DPN.
>
> I didn't want to chime in this thread, mainly because there are active
> editors of DPN and I think they are fully entitle to decide an
> "editorial position" on these matters. I still maintain that, but I'd
> like to point out to an implication which is present in this thread and
> that I find a bit disturbing.
>
> The implication is that *informing* about some money-related initiative
> it's the same of *advertising* such initiative.

This is a key point. The two are not synonymous. In my view Raphael's proposal falls into the first category. In which case it is appropriate for a DPN blurb.

I would agree its not appropriate for a press release and I would agree that it could have been edited (everything is better with a little editing.)

What I fundamentally object to is the arbitrary decision, without discussion or consensus, towards censoring or otherwise blocking the publication of a relevant snippet of news that a reasonable person would find appropriate. This seems unhealthy to me.

Regards,

Jeremiah