Re: Fund raising advertisement on the DPN

Hi,

On Fri, 07 Oct 2011, Filipus Klutiero wrote:
> The assurance contract is about providing a useful service to Debian
> users for a fee. It is our job as editors to determine if the offer
> is worth it to users, considering the price, and then worth being
> advertised in the DPN. No principle will tell you whether the answer
> is a clear Yes or a clear No.
>
> The liberation fund is asking for donations to freely license the
> book's content. This part is quite clearly inappropriate for the DPN
> - if people think freeing the book deserves donations, they should
> get it listed as a specific option by SPI. If SPI considers this
> worthy of inclusion, then *maybe* the DPN could indicate that this
> option was added.

I would pretty much say the opposite... it's in the interest of Debian
to have a DFSG free book so we must advertise the possibility to get it
freed.

And I don't really understand why you involve SPI here. The rules for
the liberation have already been set and SPI is not involved.

> Also, the 12% going to Debian needs to be sourced, if it's actual.

http://debian-handbook.info/support-debian/
http://raphaelhertzog.com/2011/09/27/contribute-to-debian-while-promoting-the-debian-administrator-handbook/

Cheers,
--