Re: Fund raising advertisement on the DPN (Was: [Publicity-commits] r2683 - /dpn/en/current/index.wml)

Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org>
> If Dell started to sell computers with Debian pre-installed, would you
> also not cover this?

Yes, but would that be worded as "Dell has started to sell computers
with Debian pre-installed" or "<a ...>You can buy Dell computers
here</a>"?  I think it's pretty sure to be the first style.

[...]
> I am more and more thinking that we need a project-wide discussion about
> how to deal with commercial projects.

Is there serious doubt in how to deal with them?  It seems obvious to
me that you shouldn't include a non-debian donation link in a DPN
item, same as I don't include a donation link for my co-op's community
fund when I help people on lists (even though it's usually funded by
the co-op).

We might both think it should be accepted, but while "Don't use Debian
Facilities for private financial gain or for commercial purposes [...]
without specific authorization to do so" remains in the DMUP, you just
don't do it because you can be pretty sure it'll upset people, even in
the debatable cases.

Please stop being silly and get authorisation before pulling a similar
stunt.  If you want to do that under cover of a blanket authorisation
debate, OK, but it may end up repeating that discussion of flattr.

Regards,
--
MJR/slef