Re: new hardware support: calling for testing

On Mon, 2011-06-20 at 11:24 +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 10:52:32AM +0200, Alexander Reichle-Schmehl wrote:
> > Hmmm... We already had that in the last issue of the DPN:
> > http://www.debian.org/News/weekly/2011/09/#hwsupport  and I think we
> > also dented about it.  Still worth an announcement on its own?
>
> Right, it's probably not worth anymore (at least not for that version,
> given Ben's follow-up). What I meant to highlight is just that, given
> the importance of such testing for stable users of new kernel versions,
> we might want to convey the corresponding announcements via debian-news.
>
> For the -kernel people: keep in mind that we need your input to do that,
> please mail us when you deem appropriate to have one such call for
> testing.

There is a new package with the driver updates available in
stable-proposed-updates (version 2.6.32-36).  The point release is now
scheduled for 8th October and the kernel source package must be
finalised about 2 weeks before that to allow time for reubilding the
kernel, installer and CD images.

This means there are about 10 days left to test this and fix bugs.  I
think it would be worth making a separate announcement a.s.a.p.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
All extremists should be taken out and shot.