Re: Mentioning package removals (was: Re: [Publicity-commits] r1400 - /dpn/en/current/index.wml)

On Jan 26, 2011, at 12:53, Alexander Reichle-Schmehl wrote:

> Hi!
>

> Am 24.01.2011 11:46, schrieb jeremiah-guest@users.alioth.debian.org:
>
>> +# * Mention removal of packages in Wheezy? Or is that considered
>> +#   non-news?
>
> Sorry, I'm not really sure what you mean with that.
>
> Would you like a list of packages in Debian 6.0 "Squeeze" compared to
> Debian 5.0 "Lenny"?  That would be hard to create due do several
> packages having been renamed (think of KDE 3.x -> KDE 4 migration).
> Such a list would be interesting, but should IMHO be part of the release
> notes.

Yeah, I think you're right.

> Or would you like to see a list of packages, which got removed from the
> testing branch (which is currently "squeeze" and will become "wheezy"
> after the release of "squeeze"). (Which has been proposed recently in
> the "google-earth" thread I missed to participate in [1].)
>
> I'm not sure about that (see taffits mail about that).  Packages get
> removed for various reasons, often to ease a transitions[2].  In these
> cases announcing testing removals is IMHO quite pointless; actually...
> Thinking about it, I find it hard to find an example, where it makes
> sense (by causing a positve / productive reaction), so announce that a
> package got removed from testing.

Yes, I was referring to the email sent by Holger. I added the question mark because I agreed with Holger that perhaps some things should get mentioned if they're removed, otherwise they might prompt speculation and questions; "Why did you remove foo!? I love foo! I need foo!" But after reading taffit's response I also agreed with taffit. This is why I wondered if the entire thread or question was something we wanted to publish in the DPN which lead me to putting a question mark in the TODO section of the current DPN.

Best regards,

Jeremiah