Re: http://www.facebook.com/debian

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 12:31:01AM +0100, Ana Guerrero wrote:
> > I also showed it to our DPL to see whether my wording was acceptable given
> > he had shown to be opposed to having an official presence there.
>
> About the part where you checked with the DPL, it is good you got some
> feedback about the text but I was really missing some public thread in our
> mailing lists about this so people is aware of the existence of the page
> and don't get surprised as I did.

To the best of my recalling (i.e. without checking logs): Raphael showed
me that page shortly after my blog post on the matter [1] to verify it
was not something I wanted to "fight", given that blog post. I'm not
claiming that was the actual wording, but that was my impression and
recalling of that exchange. On the other hand I'm sure I did not comment
on the text contained in the page on purpose, exactly because not being
a project page, I didn't see at my concern that of proposing a specific
wording.

[1] http://upsilon.cc/~zack/blog/posts/2010/09/yes_we_can/

> Your wording was not too bad, but "this is the most official of the
> unofficial" and then a list of DDs, it gives a more official status
> than you think.  I see you have changed it slightly now and it is
> better, but I am kind of picky about this, might I suggest start first
> with more clearly message "The Debian Project does not have any
> official facebook page and do not endorse this page" and then the rest
> of the text?

If, at this point, there is interest in discussing a wording on this
list, by all means go ahead. I'm all for having a big bold statement at
the beginning explain that the Debian project does not use Facebook and
that what is available on that page is maintained by individuals who
want to promote Debian using Facebook.

Cheers.