Re: http://www.facebook.com/debian

Hi Ana,

On Sat, 22 Jan 2011, Ana Guerrero wrote:
> I have discovered today the "most official of the unofficial pages
> dedicated to the Debian project" at facebook: http://www.facebook.com/debian
> According to http://www.facebook.com/debian?v=app_4949752878
> it is handled by several DDs.

If you wonder about the wording, try doing a search abouth "Debian" in
Facebook pages, there are many of them though most only with a few
subscribers.

I drafted this page when the former admins granted me admin rights, and
I added the contact information for full disclosure.

I also showed it to our DPL to see whether my wording was acceptable given
he had shown to be opposed to having an official presence there.

> I guess some people don't care about having a Debian facebook page, that's
> fine. But given other Debian people is willing to maintain a quasi-official page,
> I think it could be interesting to know how to get stuff published there in
> a quasi-official way too. Maybe something similar to what we do with
> the identi.ca account?

It's easy, everything posted to the "debian" identi.ca account is posted
there. So that's the way to get something posted there.

If you have something specific that should only be sent there, get in
touch with me or one of the other admins.

> BTW, I am curious about the links in the bottom left! I understand "debian" likes
> in facebook "ubuntu" but I don't get the "Fivefingers" and "Toe socks" links :?

I added Ubuntu (and got Ubuntu to add a link back to us, see
http://www.facebook.com/ubuntulinux) but the other pages have not been
added by me. I removed them. Adding a page there is only a click away
below each page picture, there's a link "Add to My Page's Favorites". I
guess one of the other admins did not understand it would change the
Debian page and not his personal profile. I'm ccing them because I think
I'm the only one following debian-publicity.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

                      ▶ http://RaphaelHertzog.fr (Français)