Re: who will do the QA? (was: Thoughts about Debian Marketing)

"Paul Wise" <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 3:54 AM, Fernando Cerezal <kryptos21@gmail.com> wrote:
[unattributed??]
> >> So who will do the quality assurance so make sure that none of these
> >> companies abuse our name or spread the wrong information?
> >
> > The same people is doing that currently.
>
> And who is that? Is anyone doing that currently?

No, no-one is doing it, as far as I've seen in SPI officer reports
(SPI manage the debian trademark as directed by the project) and last
time I asked, only 17 debian developers *expressed any opinion* on
enforcing the trademark against a pretty blatent abuse.

Currently the restrictive and flame-mail-based approach to debian
marketing only hurts people who want to have good standing with the
project.  If anyone outside the project wants to abuse our name or
spread the wrong information, it seems they can go ahead with little
fear of damage beyond a few flame mails at the moment.

So no-one will do it, but promoting the project is unattractive to the
sort of businesses I'd like to do it, so we need to change some things.

Watching this discussion with interest,
--
MJ Ray (slef)