Re: Bits from the DPN editors

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 22:39:28 +0200 Alexander Reichle-Schmehl wrote:

> Hi Francesco!

Hi!

> Francesco Poli schrieb:
>
> > Can we at least start by changing the license of future DPN issues?
> > I would strongly recommend to gain consensus on the license to be
> > chosen for http://www.debian.org (2-clause-BSD or GPLv2 have been
> > proposed and I would be happy with this choice) and then start to at
> > least adopt this license for future DPN issues.
>

> Sure, no Problem.

Great!  :-)

> Would it be enough to add the following text (as comment) to the
> wiki-pages and mentioning it in the contribution page?

If by "comment" you mean something that is clearly visible to anyone
who edits or reads the wiki pages, then adding the copyright and
permission notice to wiki pages would be OK, I think.
But I seem to recall that MoinMoin has some special support for
licensing info...
Anyone more knowledgeable than me could please enlighten us?

Moreover, the licensing info must be reproduced in the final published
DPN issues, as well: http://www.debian.org/News/weekly/<year>/<issue>/

[...]
> Or should we stay strictly with the 2-clause-BSD? Including warranty
> disclaimer?

The text you proposed is a modified variant of the Expat license with
some word substitutions and the disclaimer of warranty stripped out.
I often adopt the Expat license (see, for instance, parts of my
website) and I slightly prefer it to other non-copyleft licenses:
hence, I would be happy with the Expat license (but please use the
plain unmodified text: http://www.jclark.com/xml/copying.txt).

However, the 2 clause BSD license has been proposed as non-copyleft
choice for http://www.debian.org in bugs #238245 and #388141: I would
rather avoid introducing a "perturbation" in the consensus gaining
process...  So, maybe, we should stick to the 2 clause BSD license,
as in the following text:

===================
Copyright (c) <YEAR>, <OWNER>
All rights reserved.

modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are
met:

    * Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
    * Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS
IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED
TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A
PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT
OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL,
SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT
LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE,
DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY
THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT
(INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE
OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

P.S.: Please Cc: me on replies, as I am not a list subscriber.  Thanks.

--
 http://frx.netsons.org/doc/index.html#nanodocs
 The nano-document series is here!