Open Questions regarding DPN

Hi!

Some questions we should think about for the next issue of the DPN:

The old Debian Weekly News had some lists attached at their end (released
Debian Security advisories, Noteworthy new packages, Orphaned and up for
adoption packages).

I didn't thought about that for the last DPN, since creating these list
up to the last DWN would have been to long ;)

However, now I'm wondering if we should add them. (BTW: The following
arguments are mainly based on the assumption, that the main audience of
the DPN are Users like "Joe Average"; I'm not sure, if that's
accurate.)

Let's see... DSAs are quite usefull to have, but a) there's a sepperate
announcement list for them and b) since DPN is send out on a biweekly
basis, it would mean that we might list two week old security
advisories. That's IMHO quite useless.

Noteworthy new packages:  Since Joe Average is using the stable
distribution, announcing new packages, which might end up in the next
stable release is quite useless; there should be a better place to
report them (e.g. release-notes).

Orphaned packages / packages up for adoption:  Not interesting for the
main audience; are allready reported weekly to the debian-devel list
(where they are IMHO more appropriate); if Joe Average is really
interested in them, it's easier to install the devscript package and
run "wnpp-alert".

Any other opinions?

Yours sincerely,
  Alexander

PS:  I think I'll blog about that later, and if we don't get really
good argument in favour or against it, maybe we just ask our readers in
the next issue?