Re: Bits from the new ftp-master

On Wednesday 23 April 2008 16.37:33 Andre Felipe Machado wrote:
> Hello, Adrian
> Included at the draft of a pr [0] your new info and an entry at DPN
> draft [1].
> Please, review them.

Well, no use to review them as it's out already afaict.

It's out on times anyway.  So maybe a few quick comments until it's added to
DPN.

+++
> 19 new Debian Developers this week:

when the DPN is going to be posted it won't even be last week
 => "19 new Debian Developers accepted into the Project <=

> The Debian Project improves its New
> Maintainer process

No change of the process whatsoever has taken place, right?

> At april 18th 2008, 19 new Debian Developers (DD) accounts were created.

English: isn't it "On" %date%?  ENOTNATIVESPEAKER, though.

I've still not found something good to link to to show these 19 new
accounts.

> Debian Project is a volunteer effort, and needs more skilled manpower at
> many human knowledge areas.
>
> One of the bottlenecks is the Debian Accout Management (DAM), and Sam
> Hocevar delegated some important tasks to more people, distributing

One more person.  Unless you mean to include the marketing delegations,
which are not at issue here.

And why not drop the name here?  If you read corporate PR, you'll not that
they name people whenever possible.  While we should perhaps not try to
imitate the kind of spin they often do, please do at least imitate
corporate PR when it's about adding plain facts (... that can be looked up
by anybody anyway.)

Link: http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2008/04/msg00007.html

> transferring position to the new elected DPL, Steve McIntyre.
>
> This decision is a measure to quickly improve its New Maintainer
> process.

No, it's a measure to improve the running of the current (unchanged)
process.

> The added DAM and FTP Master immediately set to work and announced a

Link: http://blog.ganneff.de/blog/2008/04/22/ftpmaster.html

I said "Joerg" in my text because he only writes about working with his
ftpmaster hat on, so no need to mention DAM here.

> number of changes to the archive software as well as outlining some more
> TODO items, adding a call for help for those tasks that do not require
> special privileges.
>
> Last year, the Debian Maintainer status was approved as another decision
> to improve process, granting partial rights of a full DD.

Link: http://www.debian.org/vote/2007/vote_003

I doubt anybody not knowing what this is about can see what this should say.

Perhaps:
+++
Last year, the Debian project created the Debian Maintainer status to allow
more people maintain packages without having gone through the New
Maintainer process and become full Debian developers.
+++

> All Applicants' progress can be tracked at every phase, by anyone.

Strike that, we're not talking ab out the NM process in this text.

> Ongoing discussions are being held at debian-project mailing list to
> find a better New Maintainer process management with a more scalable and
> permanent solution.

Discussions are always held about stuff like this - I'd not mention it here
unless somewhat has a realistic chance of becoming reality soon.  And then
link to that discussion specifically.

> Debian Project has a long history of debating its own key solutions, and
> the emerging ones, having the colective wisdom of many, had been proven
> under real situations.

This sounds extremely defensive - "we just like to talk a lot and we like
that."  I think I know what you want to say, but I'm not sure how to write
it in a more positive light.
+++

cheers
-- vbi

--
P.S.  All information contained in the above letter is false,
      for reasons of military security.