Re: draft of the release announcement; please review

On Fri, Apr 06, 2007 at 04:40:40PM -0300, Gustavo Franco wrote:
>On 4/6/07, Alexander Schmehl <tolimar@debian.org> wrote:
>>Hi!
>>
>>You might have noticed some activity on some lists pointing out, that it
>>might a good idea to prepare a special announcement.
>>
>>A draft is available at http://people.debian.org/~tolimar/release.txt
>>and will updated with reflicting your reviews comments and patches to
>>correct my germish as my time permits it (remember me to set up an svn
>>(?) repo for that kind of stuff).
>>

>I would like to see at least a comment about the Debian Live images.
>
>Steve and Joey, is there any hope to give live-helper a shot with
>Daniel and prepare official live images? It seems that the major
>drawback was live-package need to run as root, also a issue in
>live-helper. I offer my help to workaround this limitation or simple
>build the images into xen or vserver guests into at least i386,
>powerpc and amd64 debian machines. Thoughts?

I've tried a few times to get working with the debian-live folks, but
my problem at the moment is lack of stability - we've not had any
release candidate live CDs (for example), and I think the change over
from make-live to live-helper has come too late before the release.

I'd *love* to get some live CDs released with etch, but it's too late
now to hold the release up for them. Maybe once the release is done,
we can get some stable, tested images copied onto cdimage. I think
that's probably the best way to go for now. After etch, I'd like to
get regular builds done and hosted alongside the regular CDs too.

"I can't ever sleep on planes ... call it irrational if you like, but I'm
 afraid I'll miss my stop" -- Vivek Dasmohapatra