Re: Linden Lab (Second Life) using Debian

Adrian von Bidder <avbidder@fortytwo.ch> wrote:
> On Monday 26 March 2007 16.24:25 MJ Ray wrote:
> > [...] too much news-style ick in the user
> > list. That would make it have less impact, as readers will notice and
> > may discount it as marketing more than reports.
>
> Hmm.  This begs the question of the purpose of this users list.
>  * we want to show that many people do indeed use Debian, and use it for
> some stated reason.  --> mostly marketing.
>  * we want to know who uses Debian so that we can improve Debian to better
> serve our users.  --> more market research than marketing. [...]

I thought it was:
  * we want to give potential or current users a way to find other
similar users in case they have questions that the other support
channels don't answer.  => mainly user support.

I may have that impression from finding the use reports through the
route www.debian.org -> Support -> Other support resources -> related
links -> Organisations using debian.

Some other projects I work on use user lists more as a support/
user-networking tool than marketing.

Hope that informs,
Webmaster/web developer, statistician, sysadmin, online shop maker,
developer of koha, debian, gobo, gnustep, various mail and web s/w.
Workers co-op @ Weston-super-Mare, Somerset http://www.ttllp.co.uk/