Re: Proposal for public announcement for the next release update

Pascal Hakim wrote:
> > The Debian project confirms December 2006 as date for the next release
> > of its distribution which will be named Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 alias
> > 'etch'.  It will be released synchronously for 11 architectures and
> > will officially support the AMD64 architecture for the first time.
>
> You should have "confirms December 2006 as the date for the".
>
> I'd change the end of the last sentence to be on its own: "This will be
> the first official release of the AMD64 architecture".

Changed to

This will be the first official release to include the
AMD64 architecture.  The distribution will be released synchronously
for 11 architectures in total.

> > The upcoming release will probably be shipped with Linux 2.6.17 as
> > default kernel.  This kernel will be used synchronously for all
> > architectures and the installer.  At a review in October the project
> > may decide upon a newer version, though.
>
> This paragraph sounds weird compared to the last one in which you
> seemed confident everything was scheduled properly, so I'd change it to
> this:
>
> 	At this stage, the upcoming release will ship with Linux 2.6.17
> 	as its default kernel. This kernel will be used across all
> 	architectures and on the installer. A later version may be
> 	selected during a review in October.

Ok.

> > New features include the GNU Compiler Collection 4.1 as default
> > compiler.  X.Org will replace XFree86 as implementation of the X
> > Window System X11.  Secure APT will add extra security by easily
> > supporting strong cryptography and digital signatures to validate
> > downloaded packages.
>
> It's strange to refer to new features, and then have a list of new
> programs instead. How about something like:

New features of this distribution...

Thanks,

	Joey

--
Long noun chains don't automatically imply security.  -- Bruce Schneier