Re: Pricing Information

On Thu, Jul 22, 1999 at 09:42:39AM +0100, Philip Hands wrote:
> "Darren O. Benham" <gecko@debian.org> writes:
>
> > What we're going to get (decided, now) is the official as pictured in
> > http://www.debian.org/logos/officiallogo-100.jpg
>
> Are you sure you want to do this ?
>
> When the logos were the other way round, I made some T-Shirts of the
> then official swirl-without-bottle, and went to the UK Linux '99 UKUUG
> conference with them.
>
> I ended up having to explain again and again that ``No I cannot sell
> you one of these, because you are not a Debian Developer on official
> business, and the license on the logo would not allow you to wear
> it..''  Very embarrassing, especially when people respond with ``But I
> thought Debian was all about freedom''
>
> I'd go for the plain swirl, since then there's no restriction on who
> can have them, unless you really want these things to be some sort of
> badge of office.  Anyway, it looks nicer IMO.
>
> Cheers, Phil.

I got that straightened out already...  The bottle can be used because:

Debian is printing the TShirts.
Debian is handing the TShirts out at shows
The TShirts are going out "at cost" so it's "not for profit"  Nobody is
making profit on the use of the official logo.

It's not a restriction on how WEARS the logo but who uses it.  Debian is
using it to create TShirts for publicity, popularity, etc.