DRAFT v3: Debian 2.0 "Hamm" Released

OK, I added some of Joey H's text... I don't want this to get any longer.  I
think right now it says everything it should say, and I'm just looking for
corrections/improvements.  We should have all docs listed at debian.org
somewhere...

Some issues:
- http://bhmit1.home.ml.org/deb/faq this needs to get on debian.org (Jay?)
- http://www.gate.net/~storm/FAQ/libc5-libc6-Mini-HOWTO.html too ??
- what number of packages do we list? There are over 1500 FREE packages, but
       2200 total.  I think I like over 2000 total...
- Destinations: slashdot, freshmeat, LJ, LWN  Know any more good ones?

<CQ>	!time
<dpkg>	CQ: T minus 1 days 3 hours 29 minutes 36 seconds!!!!

Ground Zero is approaching...

Nils.

 Debian GNU/Linux
 http://www.debian.org
 Debian 2.0 'Hamm' Released
 July 24, 1998

>> News

Debian GNU/Linux 2.0 'Hamm' has officially been released for the i386 and
m68k architectures.

It can be obtained in several ways:

FTP:       ftp://ftp.debian.org/pub/debian/
CD-ROM:    http://www.debian.org/distrib/vendors (list of distributors)
CD Images: http://cdimage.debian.org/

Debian development distributions for Alpha, Sparc, and PowerPC are also
available under the "unstable" tree from the FTP site.  They will likely be
released with Debian 2.1 'Slink.'

Debian 2.0 marks the move from the older libc5 to the newer libc6.  It
contains over 2000 precompiled binary packages contributed from over 300
developers, including all of the favorites: web servers, GIMP, gcc, egcs,
XFree86, SQL servers and many other tools and utilities.

Debian's powerful package maknager 'dpkg' allows for easy installation and
management of packages including sophisticated handling of dependencies.
Pakages from other distributions can easily be
installed using the 'alien' utility.

>> Why Debian GNU/Linux?

* Debian is 100% Free Software. Our goal is to help keep Linux free.
* Over 2000 precompiled software packages.
* Over 300 developers, the largest staff of any Linux distribution.
* The largest pre-release testing program in the Linux world.
* Free on-line support from our large, friendly user community on the
  debian-user mailing list and chat forums.
* Floppy-less install directly from CD, or single floppy install
  using NFS or hard disk.
* Automatic upgrades via CD, FTP, NFS, or disk.
* Bug tracking system is publicly accessible on our web server, and users
  users are encouraged to access the system and provide feedback.
* Anyone can duplicate and sell our Official CD, at no charge!
* Compatible with RPM and Slackware packages.
* Debian is maintained through a volunteer effort!

>> Upgrade Information

To avoid problems in just upgrading packages via dpkg, dselect, or dftp
(due to possible libc5/libc6 conflicts), a specific upgrade procedure is
recommended.  This document describing this procedure can be found at:

        http://bhmit1.home.ml.org/deb/faq

Q: How do I upgrade from an earlier version of Debian?
A: There are several methods:
   1) autoup.sh
        This is a script that will upgrade the programs in the
      correct order, and even download the deb's for you.  Because
      of the continuing changes to the archive, a tar archive of the
      packages that were available at the time autoup.sh was last
      released is provided.  This is should be in the developers
      corner on the Debian web site, but newer versions are at:
        http://www.debian.org/devel/
	ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/hamm/hamm/upgrade-i386/
        http://www.taz.net.au/autoup/
        http://debian.vicnet.net.au/autoup/
        http://www.uk.debian.org/autoup/
   2) apt-get
        This is the command line part of Debian's future
      package manager.  It knows how to order packages and will
      download them from a local archive, http, and ftp sites.  It is
      able to merge the info from several sites, so you can use a CD,
      an up to date mirror, and a non-us site for the best mix of
      speed, variety, and latest versions.
      Just run 'apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade'.
      The 'Bo' version is at: http://www.debian.org/~jgg/
      The 'Hamm' version is in project/experimental.
   3) By hand
        A HOWTO can be found at:
      http://www.gate.net/~storm/FAQ/libc5-libc6-Mini-HOWTO.html
      but as the autoup.sh simply automates this process this is the
      least convenient option.

>> About Debian

Debian GNU/Linux is a free distribution of the Linux operating system. It is
maintained and updated through the work of many users who volunteer their
time and effort.

For further information, please send email to press@debian.org or visit the
Debian homepage at http://www.debian.org.

--