Re: DRAFT: Debian 2.0 "Hamm" Released

lohner@ICD.Teradyne.COM wrote:
> OK, proofread and comment please.  I'm looking to flesh out the 'what is
> contains' section especially.  I'd also like to be somewhat consistent with
> the LJ ad we're working on (http://www.novare.net/~ean/debads/debian-ad.ps).
>  Release time is Friday July 24, 0:00 GMT I believe, so please comment soon.
>  I took s a little fro Brian's beta announcement as well.

I like what you have, but it seems a trifle short on some details. Like it
doesn't give many reasons why to pick debian. I thought it might be useful
to look at the announcement for debian 1.3. I think that one was a trifle
long, but it has some good copy in it. It's archived at
http://laulujoutsen.pc.helsinki.fi/~mjr/linux/cola.archive/1997-06/cola.1997-06-07.006

I took some of the parts I liked about that that posting and modified it
for 2.0. This isn't complete, it's just more text that could be added to the
announcement.

                 Software in the Public Interest
                            Presents

                  *** Debian GNU/Linux 2.0 ***

* 100% Free software. Our goal is to help keep Linux free.
* Anyone can duplicate and sell our Official CD, with no fee from us!
* The largest pre-release testing program in the Linux world.
* Floppy-less install directly from CD, one-floppy install using NFS
  or hard disk.
* 2000 entirely free software packages. Many more than Debian 1.3, and the
  largest Linux distribution available.
* 300 developers. Largest staff of any Linux distribution.
* Free on-line support from our large, friendly user community on the
  debian-user mailing list. Many questions are answered in minutes, with
  positive results.
* Upgrade automatically via CD, FTP, NFS, disk, or floppy.
* Our bug list is publicly accessible on our web server, and every user is
  encouraged to access our bug system and provide feedback.
* Compatible with RPM and Slackware packages.
* We are a non-profit organization!

Debian GNU/Linux is a free-software Linux distribution. Its creators
are 300 unpaid volunteers from all over the world who collaborate via
the Internet. Our goal is to keep Linux free. While other Linux
distributions make their systems more and more dependent on commercial
software, Debian is 100% free, and always will be!

This release introduces several new features:

* Debian has been ported the the m68k architecture.
* Debian 2.0 marks the move from the older libc5 to the newer libc6.
[more new features here]

Debian development distributions for Alpha, Sparc, and PowerPC are also
available under the "unstable" tree from the FTP site.  They will likely be
released with Debian 2.1 'Slink.'

A distinguishing feature of Debian is the most comprehensive package
system available for any Unix or Linux system. Debian was the first
Linux distribution to provide a package system with dependencies, a
feature that has been copied by all but one of the leading Linux
distributions. Our package system is technically superior to that
of any Linux system. Pakages from other distributions can easily be
installed using the 'alien' utility.

--
see shy jo