Re: latest version of Debian LJ ad is ready

James A. Treacy writes:

> We are looking for constructive feedback.

There was a discussion and some agreement on this list last week, which
seems to be have been lost.  Three things were basically agreed on, as I
understood it?

First, Joey Hess recalls:

Second, Fredrik Ax wrote several sage things, including:

> I think it would be better to put the advantages of Debian up front,
> not the disadvantages of other distribution! A change to something
> like this might do?!?
>
> "Do you want an easy to install
>  and use, highly upgradable
>  Linux distribution?  Visit
>    http://www.debian.org/
>  for your one-stop solution
>  to secure and stable Linux
>  workstations and servers.
>
>   Debian - Get it today!"

I think this is a great text, very much the spirit of Debian which has
always been to be serious and non-bloating.

> I think its better to point out that the features and stability made it
> "space shuttle software". That's something not many OS:es could brag
> about.

Yes!

> Another thing is the version numbers: Skip 'em!

I proposed a compromise on the list which was favorably received (not all
my proposals were :): call it "Debian 2", not 2.0.  That way it won't be
embarassing if it turns out that 2.0 has a huge security bug which we fix
(of course) but which gets known ...

This could perhaps be generalised to XFree 3.3, gcc 2.7, egcs 2.90, but for
programs I prefer "latest versions of".

Cheers,
	Kristoffer

--
Kristoffer Høgsbro Rose, Ph.D., prof.associé  <Kristoffer.Rose@ENS-Lyon.FR>
Laboratoire de l'Informatique du Parallélisme  équipe PLUME, bureau LR5-026