Re: ZDNet 'Leaning Towards Linux' Article

Philip Hands <phil@hands.com> writes:

> Nils Lohner <lohner@typhoon.icd.teradyne.com> wrote:
> > In the article 'Leaning Towards Linux' by Neil Randall
> > http://www.zdnet.com/pcmag/pctech/content/16/13/os1613.001.html it is
> > mentioned that the Red Hat and Debian distributions as being commercial.
> > This is not quite correct.  While Red Hat is a commercial distribution
> > sold for profit, Debian is maintained and compiled through volunteer work.
> > CD vendors have the option of duplicating and selling the official
> > distribution CDs.
>
> I presume you are referring to this:
>
>       More recent major
>       distributions include the Debian (ftp.debian.org/debian)
>       and RedHat (ftp.redhat.com/pub) distributions, both of
>       which are commercially supported,

No, I am sure that Nils was responding to the section discussing the GPL:

=> Modified software can then be sold or given away by these
=> developers, but they too must make the code available.  This
=> explains why commercial versions of Linux--Redhat and Debian, for
=> example--are also available via download for free.

James Troup <J.J.Troup@scm.brad.ac.uk> writes:

> Sorry to do this, but: Me Too.  I was appalled by this mail; if you
> want to flame people, please don't do it on behalf of Debian.

Nils' message was straight forward, polite, and informative -- hardly
a flame.

We are going through a difficult period right now.  Bruce's departure
leaves many roles unfilled--public relations being the most obvious.
We do need to formalize these roles, but we don't need to fight
amongst ourselves.

Kirk