Re: ZDNet 'Leaning Towards Linux' Article

On Fri, Apr 03, 1998 at 03:53:49PM +0100, Philip Hands wrote:

> That's the only reason I commented on it.  The fact that the first mention of
> it on debian-publicity, was also Cc'd to ZDNet seemed wrong to me.  In future

In fact, it would be better to send it to the press and send a copy
(not a cc or bcc to avoid group replies / crosspostings) to debian-somelist.
We may bear this in mind for the next time.

> I think we need to give people a chance to comment on things that are going to
> be sent out in the name of Debian, just to ensure that as many people as
> possible get to proof read them, and so reduce the chance of us looking
> foolish in public.

Ideally you're right.  Part of it was my fault who is swamped with a special
job until tonight and can't coordinate other things well during this time.  I
haven't realized that the mail got only to Ian and myself.  Sorry for that.

> > I am hoping to slide into a press speaker role for Debian and also write
> > some of the policy regarding press contacts.
>
> In that case, I suggest you are given an alias of something like
> <spokesman@debian.org>, only to be used for sending out official press
> releases.  Also, I think you should have a PGP key to be used only for press
> releases, tagged with the spokesman address, with which you should sign all
> official press releases, so there can be no confusion about what we're all
> looking at.
>
> Another thing that made me suspicious is that I couldn't find any reference to
> you on things like the maintainer list, so before you mail any other press
> releases we need to make sure that the ....

Nils has submitted a request as maintainer parallel to the spokesperson
thing.

>   [ I just noticed that I've been Non-PC above --- but ``spokesperson''
>     an such an ugly word IMHO.   How about <speaker@debian.org>, as in
>     ``The Speaker of the House'' in Parliament                            ]
>
> .... ``speaker'' is mentioned on the ``People behind Debian'' page at the very
> least.
>
> We should probably also have a web page devoted to press releases, stating
> how one can tell if something was really sent out officially, stating our
> policy on issuing press releases, and recording all past press releases,
> open letters etc.

Hope we'll establish this.  Sent press releases should be available already.

Regards,

	Joey

 /              Whenever you meet yourself you're in a time loop /
/ http://home.pages.de/~joey/           or in front of a mirror /