Re: logo and mascot [was Re: logo objectives]

On Wed, Nov 12, 1997 at 10:02:50PM -0800, Jamie Heilman wrote:
> On 12 Nov 1997, Christian Leutloff wrote:
>
> >What about two signs for Debian!? One logo and one mascot. The logo is
> >clear, unique, small and can be used everywhere (i.e. on each WWW page
> >for the return button). The mascot can be more detailed, more
> >colorful, bigger and will be used on selected outstanding places
> >(i.e. only on our first WWW page).
>
> I think this is a fine idea.  Its fairly clear that animals just wont cut
> it for everybody when it comes to a logo.  Despite the fact that I've met
> with relative success with my penguin meets gnu theme not all are
> satisfied.  So perhaps a compromise can be reached... along with a
> non-animal logo we could have a animal mascot.  Or not.  I dunno maybe we
> should just scrap the whole animal thing and all penguin references.  Its
> fine by me, but we really need some object with which to associate debian.
> Something that really makes sense and that people can immediately see the
> connection. The beehive idea isn't bad, but it doesn't immediately
> trigger 'debian' in my mind.

This all sounds very reasonable, but I think a logo will only trigger
something, if it has existed a while. There was no direct connection to a
penguine and linux (am I missing something?), but now there is...

But, the question what logo is appropriate is still there.

Thank you,
Marcus

--
"Rhubarb is no Egyptian god."