About the advertisement of revenue sharing agreements.

Dear all,

visiting the GNOME website, I saw “Sponsor GNOME by making your Amazon
purchases at the GNOME Amazon Store”.

A very similar initiative by a member of the Debian Med project caused our blog
to be removed from Planet Debian last year (http://lists.debian.org/87bovhz00v.fsf@gkar.ganneff.de).

However, I do not see much difference between inviting people to shop in a site
that will share its profit with a Debian team, and inviting our users to search
the web using an engine that will share its profit with Debian.  In the second
case, there are more procedures that guarantee that the money will be spent as
promised, but in both cases, the goal is the development of Debian.

To me, it is hard to guess where to draw the line between what is acceptable
and what is unacceptable regarding revenue sharing agreements and their
advertisement.  I hope that the decision that will be taken about DuckDuckGo's
proposition will be accompanied by a clarification on what we can generalise
from it.

Have a nice week-end,

--
Charles Plessy