Re: revenue sharing agreement with DuckDuckGo

Stefano Zacchiroli <leader@debian.org> writes:

> DDG will earmark traffic originating for Debian, for browsers who want
> to do so, by using the search URL
> https://duckduckgo.com/?q={{search}}&t=debian . Mike, with his
> maintainer hat on, is fine with using such a search string in
> Iceweasel. Other browsers, if the respective maintainers want to, might
> end up doing the same.

Is DuckDuckGo aware of the fact that Debian is upstream of a number of
derivative distributions that just import our packages, and if we modify
our packages to do this, other distributions will be counted as "Debian"
for their revenue-sharing purposes even if they aren't exactly?

For example, Ubuntu would inherit this behavior for the web browsers they
just import from Debian, unless they went out of their way to change it.

Related, do they realize that we cannot and will not enforce any of the
terms of their contract with us on any derivative distribution that
happens to import Debian web browser packages?