Re: revenue sharing agreement with DuckDuckGo

Hi,

Steffen Möller wrote:
> > On 12-03-27 at 10:26am, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> >> Dear Project Members,
> >>   thanks to the introductions by Mike Hommey, as Iceweasel maintainer,
> >> I've been approached by a representative of the DuckDuckGo (DDG) search
> >> engine [1] about a revenue sharing agreement among them and the Debian
> >> Project.
> >>
> >> [1] https://duckduckgo.com/
> [..]
> >> I welcome feedback on this matter,
>
> The problem I see is with a competition with upstream. If we in any
> way lower the impact firefox has for google, then this has a direct
> effect not only on firefox but also on our relation with them and
> other upstreams.

Same here. And I do package software which has such an agreement with
DuckDuckGo:

  http://repo.or.cz/w/conkeror.git/commitdiff/7c0cd5aa

And even if I wouldn't see myself as part of upstream (and the money
goes to those upstream devs hosting the project's infrastructure -- of
which I'm not part of), I would say that we should at no point replace
upstream's markers with ours. (Removing them, but not adding different
ones is a different discussion, though, and I currently have no
opinion about that.)

Most of our upstream projects are small and are neither as well-known
as Debian as a whole nor do most of them receive so many donations
outside of the internet as we do. And the majority of the code of the
software we distribute is not written by us but by them.

I though think that the best way for all free software projects is to
not make any such agreements to not impose any restrictions on other
contributors to the project. I though do realize that not all projects
can afford that.

Disclaimer: I haven't read the whole discussion yet, just grepped
through it (mutt patterns FTW! :-) to find the thread about upstream
projects and checked if conkeror was already mentioned.

		Regards, Axel
--
 ,''`.  |  Axel Beckert <abe@debian.org>, http://people.debian.org/~abe/
: :' :  |  Debian Developer, ftp.ch.debian.org Admin