Re: Diversity statement for the Debian Project

Jakub Wilk <jwilk@debian.org> writes:
> * gregor herrmann <gregoa@debian.org>, 2012-03-23, 21:07:

>> And I think we are also not open to people who don't share these
>> values, e.g. people with a racist, sexist, ... behaviour.

> Why?

You can't have an open and welcoming environment if you're open to people
who work to make the environment non-welcoming to others.  It is, like
most things in life, a balance.

There's an old saying: the problem with an open mind is that people throw
all kinds of crap into it.  Neither one's mind nor one's community should
be *too* open.  Inclusivity does mean telling people who are not willing
to allow others to be included that they should find a different project
to be part of.

The point of a diversity statement is not to accept all behavior of any
kind.  It's to make a positive statement about what sort of behavior we're
actively seeking out and want to align ourselves with.