Re: Diversity statement for the Debian Project

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 02:28:58PM +0100, Francesca Ciceri wrote:

> But I'd also like to have some inputs from you all, on it.

Since one of my responsibilities in Debian is to actually discriminate
people, I feel like I should contribute :)

I like your idea. Such a statement is IMO a direct consequence of
defining ourselves a "universal operating system", and of having DFSG5
and DFSG6 in our Social Contract; but it's good that we spell it out.

I also like the draft, and I'd happily accept it as it is. This is the
extra input I can give:

> The Debian Project welcomes and encourages participation by everyone.
> We are committed to being a community that everyone feels good about
> joining. Although we may not be able to satisty everyone, we will always
> work to treat everyone well.

> Whenever any participant has made a mistake, we expect them to take
> responsibility for it. If someone has been harmed or offended, it is our
> responsibility to listen carefully and respectfully, and do our best to
> right the wrong.

I can think of another thing that we care about, which I don't see
mentioned here: "We expect people to be constructive members of the
community."

That is something that we have learnt to pay attention to, over the
years.

> Although this list cannot be exhaustive, we explicitly honour diversity
> in age, culture, ethnicity, genotype, gender identity or expression,
> language, national origin, neurotype, phenotype, political beliefs,
> profession, race, religion, sexual orientation, socio-economic status,
> subculture and technical ability.

I could see elsewhere in this thread how detailed lists are a fantastic
bikeshedding magnet; I wish I had an idea on how to get away with a list
and just say "what part of universal do you not get?". But I don't have
any good idea to offer, and that list does the job.

I fully agree with Russ at
http://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2012/03/msg00054.html
and I wonder if it's just enough to replace "technical ability" with
"skillset, and field of expertise".

Ciao,

Enrico

--