Re: [Debconf-team] DebConf9/10[/11] accounting summary

On Sun, Jul 03, 2011 at 10:29:44AM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:

> > DebConf 9 had €95715.65 income, €61130.10 expenses, for a net gain of
> > €34585.55.  DC9 "took" €9960.17 from Debian (mostly at SPI; Debian
> > allocated USD20k when the budget looked bad), used €462.00 of DC8
> > surplus.  DC9 passed on €44970.55 on to DebConf10 (mostly at FFIS).
> >   [dc09-bal] http://rkd.zgib.net/http/debconf/dc9/
> >
> > DebConf10 had €59716.21 of income, and €130300.76 of expenses, for a
                  €95716.21
> > net loss of €34584.57.  DebConf10 took €44970.55 of DC9 surplus,
> > €443.82 of DC8 surplus, and in the end returned €10580.45 to Debian.
> > DC9 and DC10 combined had a large net transfer of Debian money from
> > SPI to FFIS, since together they got more income in Europe and spent
> > more in the USA.
> >   [dc10-bal] http://rkd.zgib.net/http/debconf/dc10/
> >
> > Overall, these two conferences balanced each other out surprisingly
> > well.
>
> This is so, however, considering some non-surplus income coming "from
> Debian", right? (your DebConf9 notes above on that subject are a bit
> ambiguous to me, and I'm not sure I'm reading the ledger files right)

"income", "expenses" "net gain" and "net loss" above mean "actual
amounts raised specifically for and spent specifically for that
conference", thus it excludes anything to/from Debian or surpluses
from other years.

The to/from Debian and surplus related numbers explained _where_ that
net gain/net loss went to/came from.

> > The DC8 final report states there was further surplus money from DC8,
> > on the order of €12000.  I am not tracking this, since I have no means
> > to (and can't verify it myself), but I hope it was absorbed into
> > Debian funds.  I don't know how much Debian has contributed to and
> > taken back from DebConf up until and including DC8.
>
> These seem to roughly correspond to DC9 initial "surplus", within an
> error of ~2000 EUR.

If DC8 surplus is considered to be what Debian gave DC9, then that
would be less taken "from debian general funds", so the overall
picture is more positive.

But then you'd ask how much of that originally came from Debian
general funds, and how much was extra income from past DebConfs.  And
soon I can't track where money comes and goes from (maybe someone else
can?), so rather than guessing I stick with what is trackable.  I will
update anything that I get more data for.

I'd like to point out other people have tracked money in the past, and
they can probably elaborate a lot here.  I don't want to imply that
past years were not tracked well, I just don't know.  (However, I do
hope I am making dc11 the best accounted-for debconf so far.)

I had more written, but it was not positive, so I removed it.  Accept
my general dissatisfaction and desire to just be able to track this
money well and be fiscally responsible.

- Richard