Re: Debian hardware certification

On 05/22/2011 10:00 PM, Bastian Blank wrote:
> On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 01:02:23PM +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>> And here's my follow-up with some of the answers:
>> On 05/21/2011 08:00 PM, Bastian Blank wrote:
>
> You realize that you just leaked d-private without asking first?

Gosh, no I didn't. Sorry for that.

There wasn't anything personal or private in this thread, so I hope
nobody will mind... Never the less, it's very bad practice, I hope I
will remember.

>>> They can already declare Debian a supported system. They have to do the
>>> support for that and can work with Debian to get the work done.
>> That's what we were discussing. Who should they get in touch with? I am
>> not aware of any front desk for such hardware certification.
>
> No, this is not. It is a difference if _they_ declare that Debian works
> on a given machine or if _we_ do it.

The point is to have a system so that manufacturers can write "this
system supports Debian". If they don't want to do the work, we could,
and help each other by having a list of hardware that is known to work
with Debian, and a list of hardware with issues. If they do, it's best,
and IMHO we should help. Finally, I believe we should have a central
point on Debian's website so that this can happen.

Maybe a wiki page might be a good start, until we setup something better.

>>> are you aware that all of the supermicro motherboards with built-in
>>> KVM-over-IP functionality provide that functionality with the support
>>> of an on-board processor which runs an embedded linux-based system?
>
> Some informations about the management system as shipped with a H8QG8:
> - Linux 2.6._24_
> - Busybox 1.1.3
> - Dropbear 0.50
> - IPMI server as _kernel module_
> - Standard X509 cert with support@ami.com as e-mail and expired _five_
>   years ago
>
> This system need some serious overhaul to even let it even near an open
> network and a proper update mechanism.

Right, it's quite scary. I got the exact same version for at least the
Linux kernel and busybox on my X8STi-F boards. Upgrading to the latest
firmware doesn't help, I've tried...

Thomas