Re: Report from openSUSE Conference

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 09:51:54AM +0200, Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
One topic raised was with respect to the [whohas] tool: A mapping layer/tool/database for package names. We divert from upstream naming schemes for consistency reasons, like with our library, Perl and Python naming schemes. Other distributions have similar approaches but a different naming scheme. To make inter-distribution tools really useful it would require to have some layer that is able to map the package name from one distribution to another one. One idea for it that was thrown in was to use upstream homepage, but not all packages do have proper homepages, some only live in some git repository, others would either like to link to sourceforge's project page instead of the project's homepage, and other tricky issues. Something unique is clearly called for here and needed to get stored in the package's metadata.

[DOAP] could be used for this. It supports multiple references to the upstream project. And standardized tools (try search for "sparql") to merge and extract pieces from multiple DOAP files.

 - Jonas

[DOAP] See Debian package "moap" or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Description_of_a_Project