Re: FTPMaster meeting minutes

Hi Joerg,

thanks for those minutes, they were very interesting. I like that you're
working on integrating more stuff on the main archive. It's definitely
better than to have many separate archives. I do hope backports will be
a suite on the main archive at some point.

I have one comment and a question.

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010, Joerg Jaspert wrote:
> 15. control-suite sanity
>     Right now there is no sane version checking done when we import new
>     data into a suite using c-s. This means that in theory the release
>     managers could put packages/versions from any suite into testing
>     (say, an oldstable version into testing, an experimental version
>     into testing), completly violating any version constraint the suites
>     have when processing uploads.
>     This is currently solved/worked around by having a very big
>     (virtual) hammer flying above the release/volatile peoples heads -
>     should they ever make use of this capability and take version from
>     elsewhere than the allowed source suite the import process would be
>     stopped by us until we have all code changed to fully check it.

I can see the need of those checks as safety guards. They would be set
up on request of the people who decides of the policy... but why do you
present this as a hammer above their heads? If they're in charge of the
policy for a suite, they get to decide what goes in, no?

Anyway, I was wondering if there's some documentation about this interface
or if there's only the source code. I will have to look into this for
the CUT related suites so I might well just ask for a starter.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer ◈ [Flattr=20693]

                      ▶ http://RaphaelHertzog.fr (Français)