Debian training and code review

On ke, 2010-09-15 at 10:22 +0200, Joerg Jaspert wrote:
> I, using my FTPMaster hat, do care a lot that we do not get
> $whateveritsname with upload rights that never ever had to show at least
> the basic understanding of packaging work. Looking at all the errors
> existing Developers do, even longstanding ones, having something like
> T&S drop away entirely will be near death. Whoever thinks "it cant be
> that bad" should do a month of release team, qa or ftpteam work. You
> will think different.

This reminds me: it would be good to improve not just the quality of our
packages, but our developers.

Developing a Linux distribution involves a lot of skills, and stuff
keeps changing all the time. It would perhaps be a good idea to have
training sessions within Debian.

At the moment, pretty much all training is handled by each developer
themselves: they read documentation, or source, and experiment with
things. They might write some blog posts, or mail a list, or something.
This often works, but I'm sure we can do better.

Ubuntu has "developer weeks", where various people give hour-long IRC
training sessions on various topics. We could join them, or have our
own. Or we could have ad-hoc training sessions, like Debian-Women has
done, and and is starting to do again.

In addition to training, some collaborative code review might be
helpful. debian-mentors is one good place for that, and asking on IRC on
#debian-devel would work too.

What do others think?