Re: DEP5: non-DFSG repackaging documentation

Jonas Smedegaard <dr@jones.dk> writes:

> To me, "Source:" contains origins.  Makes sense to me for that field to
> be mandatory and only contain URLs.

> I would like an optional field indicating that our redistribute as the
> "source" (rather than our "overlay" part in the form of either a patch
> or (with dpkg source format 3.0) an additional tarball) is not pristine
> but have been created or tampered with by us - even if in fact based on
> those upstream sources stated in "Source:".

It seems like overkill to me, but I guess I don't really care.  But if the
source is only URLs, then for some of my packages I either need to omit it
or duplicate Homepage, since I don't use any tarball release from upstream
and therefore have no URL to point to.  I package a Git tag instead, for
which there's no URL syntax.

Or I guess just include the URL of the upstream instructions on how to use
Git.

> Perhaps "Source-Manipulation:" better describes what I would want such
> field to cover: Even if content not machine-parsable, it is still
> machine-parsable if that field exists, flagging this source package as
> redistributing non-pristine "source" tarballs.

But that field name also isn't an accurate representation of what's going
on when the packaging is based on a Git tag.  No manipulation is involved
other than running git archive against a tag.