Re: DEP5: non-DFSG repackaging documentation

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 12:57:28PM +0100, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
On ti, 2010-09-14 at 00:07 +0100, Stuart Prescott wrote:
Personally, I'd like a nice machine-readable list of files/dirs/globs that should be removed from the tarball. I'd like it to be kept in a canonical location in the source tarball (debian/copyright, perhaps?)

This all sounds good, with the exception that I'd rather not have the list in debian/copyright. More importantly, though, I suspect it may be the wrong time to specify this in DEP5, and it would be better to finish DEP5 first, and then, when someone writes the tool, to amend DEP5 accordingly, when there's enough experience to see that the tool works well in the majority of cases.

Makes sense to me.

Let's define only a single free-form field in the header section now.

I suggest it then be a field specifically for notes regarding source not being "pristine" in the sense that the form as redistributed by Debian is different from how it was distributed by upstream.

With this I mean that it should *both* cover cases of repackaging a tarball *and* generating a tarball from e.g. a checkout from an upstream VCS.

Suggested filed name:

 Source-Repackaged-Reason:

 - Jonas