        State: DRAFT
        Date: 2009-03-22
        Drivers: Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org>
        License:
         Copying and distribution of this file, with or without modification,
         are permitted in any medium without royalty provided the copyright
         notice and this notice are preserved.
        Abstract:
         Establish a standard, machine-readable format for debian/copyright
         files within packages, to facilitate automated checking and
         reporting of licenses for packages and sets of packages.

Since this is not a development-oriented proposal (except in the very broad
sense that it touches packages), I believe that debian-project is the
appropriate list for discussing this DEP, not debian-devel.

This DEP has been assigned for quite some time, of course, but I haven't
done a very good job of leading discussion here; a failing for which I
apologize, and which I am now attempting to correct.  For those who are
unaware, there has already been a fair amount of discussion of DEP5 on
debian-devel in the past; I will be attempting to gather up the loose
threads and bring the discussion over here as time allows.