Re: Debian money

On Thursday 10 September 2009, Steve McIntyre wrote:
>  5 Pay people to do stuff we don't/can't/won't:

     g website redesign and restructuring
       This is something we seem unable to make any progress at and that
       is very much overdue. Especially the restructuring part would
       involve loads of tedious work and some compensation for that would
       IMO be in order. Of course we would need to agree on requirements
       first.

>  6 Fund other related projects
>
>    a Debian Edu. Clearly good for us to do - heavily linked with
>      Debian.

Not sure about that. IMO it's up to the schools and governmental
institutions that use Debian Edu to sponsor that.
However, I have no problem with Debian sponsoring development meetings
that aim to work on Debian Edu, but that comes under the heading of "Fund
developer gatherings".

>    b Gnash. Petter is very keen on this, but I'm not so sure. Don't
>      they have other ways to get funding? Thoughts?

I don't think Debian as a project should sponsor upstream development.
That's up to individual DDs.

Cheers,
FJP