Re: Switching the default startup method

Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> writes:
> Marc 'HE' Brockschmidt <he@ftwca.de> writes:
>> How is calling update-rc.d making our maintainer scripts fragile?
> It's the things that update-rc.d doesn't support directly that are a
> problem, like moving start numbers.

True, but just using insserv will not fix this problem. As long as we
don't move away from the current update-rc.d API (which we can't in this
cycle [1]), we can also keep providing plain sysv-rc or file-rc.

I have to admit that I haven't followed the lists very closely in the
past months, but has update-rc.d2 (or something similar, just updating
the deps, without providing the numbers used for ordering) been
discussed?

Marc

Footnotes:
[1]  Partial upgrades, bla, bla, bla ...
--
BOFH #113:
Root nameservers are out of sync