Re: Switching the default startup method

On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 11:34:00AM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 08:03:59PM +0200, Andreas Barth wrote:
> > The most vital bug that needs to be fixed currently is the new dependency
> > from sysv-rc on insserv. The patch to fix this is trivial. (I'm
> > refraining to open a new bug report on this for obvious reasons.)
>
> I don't agree that this is a bug, and "fixing" this bug does nothing to
> help improve the default Debian system.

There is no need to make sysv-rc depend on insserv if the goal is to
make it be the default. I have nothing against making insserv be the
default for current or future Debian installations, and in fact support
that goal.

However, I *do* have qualms with insserv being the *only* option (if you
want to use sysv-rc), which is currently the case. That is not the same
thing as it being 'the default', and that is what I have a problem with
(and, I believe, most people in this thread who oppose the change,
though I'll readily accept that I might be wrong there).

trying to fool the system.