Re: Switching the default startup method

Hi Steve!

* Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> [2009-08-24 10:03]:

> The main thing I know about file-rc is that it's a corner case that further
> breaks upgrade handling when packages need to renumber their symlinks in
> /etc/rc?.d.  I know "embedded" is often used as a catch-all to describe all
> kinds of crackful ideas, but I'm at a loss to see how this makes file-rc
> in particular appealing to anyone.

It's easy to maintain, it doesn't require a bunch of symlinks like
sysv-rc nor does it require the magic of insserv, it is easy to change
the order in which services are started without time-consuming resolving
dependencies (eg linksys WRT54GS v1.1, asus wl500g boot pretty fast with
it).

Yours
Martin