Re: upstart and the LSB (was: On cadence and collaboration)

On Thu, Aug 06, 2009 at 08:50:36PM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> … and all of the efforts of the LSB to standardise sysvinit so that
> every vendor can drop init.d scripts into place and expect them to
> work, are undermined by upstart.

Right, just like the efforts of the LSB to standardize a package format are
undermined by our use of .deb.

> Sure, it has compatibility addons, but primarily it conflicts with
> sysvinit and encourages vendors to provide upstart control files for
> packages, instead of init.d scripts.

Why in the world does it matter whether it's a compat layer, or if it's what
the distributor uses for its own work?

Do you advocate throwing away Policy and replacing it with the LSB?

> I will not replace sysvinit or /sbin/init on crucial systems with
> something that hasn't been around enough long enough for people to
> understand and embrace with all their heart.

> Don't get me wrong: I long for upstart's functionality. It just
> seems "half-baked" and counter-productive when viewed in the light
> of the LSB efforts.

Not in the least.