Re: On cadence and collaboration

Philipp Kern <trash@philkern.de> writes:
> On 2009-08-06, Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> wrote:

>> And this is precisely why it was asked that for squeeze, frozen and
>> testing remain different suites during the freeze. Currently I have no
>> idea of whether this will happen.
>
> While I see the point of this I don't know if I would be happy.  If
> people just continue with business as usual for unstable and testing we
> will not release.  See the RC bug fixing activity of the last release.
>
> A short freeze just means that people would actually have to squash some
> bugs, but it seems that the majority of DDs simply don't care.  Freezing
> a bit of unstable helps us to apply some peer pressure.  Kudos to all of
> them who helped releasing in the last freezing cycle.  I just don't like
> the perspective of feeling alone in the next one.

Those who haven't seen it already might want to watch Theo de Raadt's
presentation this year on how OpenBSD releases.  It seems directly
relevant and very similar to our current release process, except they
manage more consistent timing (in large part, I think, because the amount
of software they're freezing is smaller and they have more control over
it).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7pkyDUX5uM