Re: On cadence and collaboration

Julien BLACHE <jblache@debian.org> writes:
> Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> wrote:
>> Julien BLACHE <jblache@debian.org> writes:

>>> A time-based freeze could mean for some teams that they'll have to
>>> stop work basically for months to a year.

>> Exaggeration, -1.

> Excuse me, what? This is exactly what happened for this past freeze,

Some teams had to work in experimental, some teams had to work on feature
development in a VCS instead of on package uploads, and a lot of package
uploads had to be delayed or staged in external repositories, but "stop
work" is an exaggeration.  Considerable dpkg work happened during the
freeze, for example, and dpkg was affected as badly as anything in Debian.
Notice the huge changelogs for 1.15.0 and 1.15.1.

If you had to stop work because of the freeze, you have an opportunity to
improve your development infrastructure by building ways to stage work
without having to upload everything to unstable.  I did lots of work on my
packages targetted at squeeze during the lenny freeze when there wasn't
anything to do for lenny for them.  Most of that work was uploaded to
experimental.