Re: On cadence and collaboration

Marc Haber <mh+debian-project@zugschlus.de> writes:
> On Wed, Aug 05, 2009 at 10:21:38AM +0100, Mark Shuttleworth wrote:

>> I hear this story all the time from upstreams. "We'd like to help
>> distributions, but WHICH distribution should we pick?"

> I have never heard that story from an upstream, neither have I heard
> that other maintainers have heard that. Especially not from the upstream
> who consider themselves big and powerful.

I have.

Furthermore, even upstreams that currently aren't interested in
cooperating with distributions I suspect would change their minds if they
could support *one* long-term stable release.  It might take a few years
for them to come around, but it starts looking very appealing.

I'm skeptical about whether we can get there, but I think Mark's analysis
is fundamentally correct.

>> As pointed out on this list, Debian and Ubuntu share a great deal.

> I wouldn't call that "share".

I've had almost uniformly positive experiences working with Ubuntu users
of the packages that I maintain and integrating those packages into
Ubuntu, including valuable contributions and improvements that originated
in Ubuntu and were filed as bugs against the Debian packages (although
since I subscribe to all of the Ubuntu packages corresponding to my Debian
packages in Launchpad, I normally short-circuit that).

My corner of Debian would be noticably worse if it were not for Ubuntu,
and this is from someone who has never run Ubuntu and has no interest in
ever doing so.

> At least Debian has epically failed in "wide communication" of this
> decision by first putting out a press release before informing the
> community itself.

Which, of course, is not Ubuntu's fault.  Problems with communication
internal to the Debian project are not ones that Mark Shuttleworth can
solve, or should attempt to solve.