Re: Debian decides to adopt time-based release freezes

On Tue, Aug 04, 2009 at 10:29:11AM +0100, Steve Langasek wrote:
> I'm sorry that you have a negative impression of Ubuntu's relationship
> with Debian, but there's plenty of data available that contradicts
> your conclusion (including BTS reports that have been posted to this
> very thread).

The problem is there is also plenty of data, like for example the recent
#539950 (on a package never uploaded to Debian) which is looking a _lot_
like LP#408901. In this bug, the Ubuntu developer is (IMHO) trying to
make the Debian one find, fix and patch the bug for him.

The problem is (as a DD) that I would expect Ubuntu to collaborate the
most on the harder core packages, meaning the toolchain, the kernel,
X... Alas, it happens more coincidentally than on a regular basis, and
that saddens me.

I'm not saying there aren't any working cases of cooperation, and I
welcome them. But there are way too many example of bad (or rather
inexistant) cooperation, or even dirty tricks like #539950, which
undermines the former tries a lot.

--
Intersec <http://www.intersec.com>
Pierre Habouzit <pierre.habouzit@intersec.com>