Re: On syncing freeze dates with other distributions

On Mon, Aug 03 2009, Russ Allbery wrote:

> Michael Banck <mbanck@debian.org> writes:
>
>> The other concern I have is lengthening our release cycle to 2 years - I
>> think this is quite a bit too long, I am very happy with the current
>> (rather informel) 1,5 years which is just between the 6-month release
>> cycle of the Fedora, OpenSuSE and Ubuntu community distributions and the
>> RHEL, SLES, LTS enterprise distributions.
>
> Amen.  I think two years is a little too long and 18 months would be much
> better.

        We never actually have managed the 18 month release, have we? We
 freeze approximatly 18 months after the last release, and then release
 about 2 years or so after the last release.

        So, in steady state, freezing/releasing roughly two years apart
 will be close to what we do, no?

> I don't think Debian should make pledges external to the project about
> our release cycle at this point, at least not until we've done the
> same freeze at least twice on the same schedule and have proven
> internally that we can do it consistently.

        I also think that we should be looking at when we freeze not
 merely at when a derived distro freezes, but when major system
 components release, and when top level sister distributions freeze
 (we'll get far more benefit for Debian users were we to sync up with
 fedora/rhel; and have more clout with upstream, especially if Ubuntu
 sync's up with Debian/red hat as well).

        manoj
--
Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons.