Re: Debian decides to adopt time-based release freezes

On Tue, Aug 04, 2009 at 11:17:01AM +0100, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 04, 2009 at 08:57:50AM +0200, Patrick Schoenfeld wrote:
> > Of course it would be nicer if patches were reported automatically to us.
>
> This is by no means a universally held view within Debian.  The current
> approach of only pushing patches to Debian maintainers as manual bug
> reports is a result of public discussion several years ago on debian-devel
> (or debian-project), in which a number of developers objected to the idea of
> receiving automatic mails every time Ubuntu made a change on the grounds
> that this would generate lots of unwelcome noise.

If I recall correctly, the consensus of this old discussion was that
Debian would want Debian-relevant patches in the BTS while Ubuntu
could happily keep their "fixes" such as disabling the parts of test
suites that failed during the Ubuntu build for themselves.

Greetings
Marc

Nordisch by Nature |  How to make an American Quilt | Fax: *49 3221 2323190